Written on May 22 2015
We are delighted to announce the Wellington Training Weekend J We look forward to having as many MTNZ members as possible participate in this fantastic training opportunity.
Please find attached a registration pack for the Wellington Training Weekend to be held at Te Whaea: National Dance & Drama Centre hosted by Toi Whakaari and with assistance from BOUNCE NZ.
We have lined up a fantastic weekend with amazing tutors from around New Zealand including:
- Directing - Cameron Rhodes
- Costume Construction - Kaarin Macaulay
- Creating Great Dance - Tania Kopytko
- Production Management - Annie Pearce
- Stage Management - Kathryn Osborne
Kathryn and Annie did such awesome workshops last year in Christchurch and the feedback was so positive, they are coming back again for the North Island workshops.
We have been so lucky to engage the services of Cameron Rhodes from Auckland who directed Into The Woods at Toi last year and the wonderful Kaarin Macaulay - you can actually do a hands on practical session in her amazing workshop at Toi - an opportunity not to be missed. And Tania whose forum at the Christchurch conference was so well received, has agreed to extend her conference workshop into a full seminar.
We have also answered "the call" from feedback - practical directing session on the Sunday morning and a Q&A forum with all tutors - these suggestions came through strongly in feedback from last year.
Feedback from Kathryn's Christchurch Workshop last year:
- "Kathryn had an amazing amount of knowledge which she easily passed onto us and had such passion for her craft"
- "Kathryn was just amazing - we need more from this lady"
- "The stage management course content and presentation was excellent given the timeframe"
- "Great to learn from one of the best in the business"
Feedback on Tania's forum from Christchurch conference
- "Choreography forum with Tania was great. It's changed my focus of my choreography to characters not steps"
- "The movement workshop with Tania was refreshingly useful - very practical and realistic."
- "As a director I found your workshop refreshingly applicable to community theatre. You have inspired me to think about dance differently and understand that I do not need a cast with years of dance training to ensure effective movement that enhances the storyline and emotion of the scene. I can achieve a lot with little and utilise those with actual dance skills/experience as icing on the top. You are brilliant."
Feedback from Annie's Christchurch Workshop last year:
- "So much material covered, all relevant, could have done with another few hours"
- "Amazing presenter and so knowledgeable"
- "Annie covered so much and we were pleased we made the effort, weren't sure whether it was going to be from a big society's perspective given Annie's bio but all her tips and "how to's" were totally relevant for us smaller societies - loved the spreadsheets - thank you Annie."
- "Annie pitched everything at the right level, right across the broad range of societies represented - it was all totally relevant for all groups big and small."
With amazing support and sponsorship from Glen and Karen Ruske from BOUNCE and Craig, Kaarin and the team from Toi Whakaari, we have managed to keep the registration fees right down and it's so easy to get to Wellington from all around New Zealand - and a great opportunity to come to Wellie to check out the fantastic exhibitions at Te Papa and the War Memorial as well. Make a weekend of it J Sharron Pardoe our Zone Three Rep and I will be on site and organising the weekend.
So here is the weekend programme:
Saturday 5 September - Directing - developing the script and working with your team
- 9am Registration, morning tea
- 10am Course commences
- Midday Lunch break - PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR OWN LUNCH
- 1pm Course recommences
- 3pm Afternoon tea
- 5.30pm Conclude
- 6.30pm Group dinner option at the Crab Shack on the Wellington water front - extra cost
Sunday 6 September
- 9am Tea and coffee and registration
- 9.30am Stage Management Workshop commences
- 10am Costume Construction Workshop commences - practical & theory
- Directing - working with the script and working with your cast - practical
- Creating great dance and choreography for all your cast members - practical & theory
- 11.30am Q&A Forum - Production and Stage Management tutors If you are attending the Production Management workshop, you can attend this Q&A Forum as part of the Stage Management group
- 12pm All workshops - lunch break PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR OWN LUNCH
- 12.30pm Production Management Workshop commences
- Other workshops recommence
- 2.30pm Workshops conclude
- 2.45pm Informal Afternoon Tea Q&A Forum with the tutors - all attendees invited to this forum - a great opportunity to ask questions and consult with the professionals.
- 3.30pm Conclude
Registration info can be downloaded by clicking here, contact the MTNZ office if you need any further information and clarification - registrations close 31 August.